Emeritus Professor Man, Ricky Ying Keung 文英強
- Vascular and hormonal profiles, as well as the therapeutic potentials, of phytoestrogens
- Platelet-activating factor: its cardiovascular effects and receptor classification
- Non-genomic effects of gonadal sex hormones in the vascular system: clinical implications and mechanism of actions
- Role of lipid and its mediators in the pathogenesis of cardiovascular disorders
- Cardiovascular pharmacology of Chinese medicine, in particular the modulatory actions on vascular reactivity
My research interests are gonadal hormones and natural products on the regulation and modulation of vascular function. Together with Professor Paul M. Vanhoutte, we have established the Vascular Biology Unit within the Department of Pharmacology. This has been expanded and renamed Vascular Biology and Metabolic Research Unit. My research has led to a better understand on how physiological levels of female and male hormones modulate vascular functions and the signaling pathways involved. These effects are likely to be non-genomic and are distinct from the traditional genomic effects of steroid hormones. My research team has also investigated flavonoids, also considered as plant derived female hormones (phytoestrogens) in their vascular effects and mechanism of action. In 2005, I chaired the Working Group in Natural Products which subsequently became the Natural Product Section of International Union of Pharmacology (IUPHAR). I was the first chairman of the section and we have made significant progress in promoting research and understanding in natural products. Indeed, natural product research has been as one of the major themes in all subsequent World Congress of Pharmacology. Current effort is directly toward a better understand of the vascular effects of hormones and phytoestrogens, and the molecular and cellular targets involved in mediating the genomic hormonal effects and the non-genomic vascular effects.
|Term Period||Position||Professional Societies|
|01/2004 -||President||Hong Kong Pharmacology Society|
Are You Missing Publications, Invited Lectures? Click Me.